In modern stores, you can find knives with a wide variety of designs and modifications. Many consumers are concerned about why there are holes in a knife that are just above the cutting edge or along the entire centerline of the blade. Some consider it a decoration of the product, others talk about the design features, others – about the nuances of operation. Let’s find out what characteristics a knife with a hole has.
KNIFE WITH HOLES ON THE BLADE: WHAT IS IT INTENDED FOR
The classic knife has a solid working blade. But some models are available with holes, for example:
- Some types of Japanese blades. On the surface, there can be not only holes but also various depressions, bulges, notches. In most cases, they are designed to facilitate cutting products into thin slices.
- For cheese. This product has a special consistency and tends to stick to the knife when cutting especially soft varieties. The presence of holes on the cutting blade prevents such an undesirable effect, the holes play the role of air pockets.
- Hunting and combat. They are used for cutting and gutting game, poultry, livestock. The holes can increase the blade’s maneuverability by preventing the formation of a vacuum when working inside the muscle tissue.
WHY ARE THERE HOLES ON THE KNIFE BLADE: MYTHS AND REALITY
The most common myth is that a knife with a hole in the blade was created for “bleeding”. The blood of a wounded animal oozes through the hole and no vacuum is formed. When the blade is removed, blood collapses. As a result, the animal quickly dies, and the blood flows out faster.
visit also it: Damascus Steel Pocket Knife
Such an appointment may have a dol – an elongated groove on the blade of a cold weapon. It is not through, unlike the hole, and looks like an elongated cavity. Holes are also credited with another property of the valley – the ability to make the blade stiffer. Holes in the cutting blade cannot make it stronger and stronger in any way, but a recess made in a certain place is quite capable of this.
But why the holes in the knife are really useful:
- to reduce the area of friction to prevent sticking of products;
- for decorative decoration of the blade, to make the design more interesting;
- to properly balance the knife blade
- Lighten the blade to reduce weight;
- to make it easier to open the folding knife (the hole is easy to grasp with your fingers).
So, to understand why there is a hole in the blade in the knife, it is worth deciding on the purpose of this tool and its design features. It is possible that the holes were created only for decorating a stylish blade. However, almost always, this design facilitates cutting by preventing the product from sticking to the blade.
If you like our article, you can express your opinion in the comment box Thank You.